Wednesday 16 December 2015

I will take my friends’ dreams forward, says APS attack survivor Aakif Azeem


“The attack on Army Public School was a life changing moment for me. It channelized my energies and made me clear (about) what I want to do in life. Whatever I am today is because of December 16,” said Aakif Azeem, a survivor of the Army Public School, Peshawar attack of 16 December 2014, while speaking to The Nation.

“Soon after the attack, we had no option but to give the final exams. That was one torturous task. It was hard for all students to recover so early and get back to studies, but we still gave our exams. When the results were declared none of us was satisfied, rather we were worried if we would be wasting a year with such low marks,” Aakif Azeem recalls those days. “Those days were one of the most testing ones after the attack for the F.Sc class. I was disheartened in the beginning and was wondering what I should do, but all of a sudden the clouds of darkness shed away and I got admission in Peshawar University.”

About the initial days in Peshawar University Aakif said, “I knew that people would ask me questions but I just did not want to answer them. It took me a week or so to get used to it and then I got (the) strength to speak about it. I didn’t bottle it all up (rather) I would talk to people very easily.”

Talking of his first day in class, he said that Chemistry is his weakest subject and the examination and the subject itself are the thing he remembered of that unfortunate day. So when he went to his new class it was hard to start studying again but then he realized ‘life has to move on’ he can’t remain stuck on December 16, 2014 and he can proudly say, he topped the midterms.

Aakif speaks about his friends he lost in the attack with sad feelings, “I lost seventeen friends. It is like a big hole in my chest and it will never be filled. They were not only my friends but they had dreams and desire to live. If I am alive that means I have a purpose (that is), to carry on their legacy. I will take their dreams forward and live for them.”

Aakif Azeem a survivor of APS speaks about his future plans and says that Pakistan is being pulled into depression, but his aim is to keep spreading positivity. He has realized that there is nothing more important than Humanity. No matter what race, religion or creed one belongs to, one has the right to live. The present atmosphere is full of hate, but he has to spread his share of positivity.

Aakif is writing a book which he started penning down about two months after the school attack. The story revolves around the theme that religion is second to humanity, and speaks of how a teenager spends his life in Pakistan in the current security threat scenario.

Aakif Azeem is lucky to have an outlet for his energies and channel his work constructively. He plans to be a role model for the younger students and youth in Pakistan, so that the despondency that they feel can also be turned round to constructive work.

This article was published in The Nation 16 Dec 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment