Friday 8 January 2016

Jami interrogated in US coffee shop after mentioning ‘ISIS’


Jami Mahmood, the director of the Pakistani movie Moor was investigated by Palm Springs US police, while sitting in a coffee shop following the screening of his movie, He was interrogated for using the words ‘ISIS’, ‘Afghanistan’ and ‘Pakistan’.
He was at Coffee and Beans with a couple of friends, one of whom was an American pilot of a commercial flight. They were discussing the script for Jami's next movie when people overheard the mention of 'ISIS', 'Pakistan' and 'Afghanistan' and called the police.
While speaking to The Nation Jami said, “I was with Shaz, Hameed Sheikh and an American friend discussing the script for our next movie in which ISIS, Pakistan and Afghanistan words were being used. I asked everyone to avoid these words before we get in trouble. But by that time someone had overheard us and called the police.”
He further said, “The police looked at our documents took pictures and even asked the purpose of our visit. We explained the whole scenario after which they let us go. I know they were just doing their job and things are on high alert in States. Thank God I was not in New York otherwise things would have been bad. Our American friend started crying because he knew that his career would be at stake now because he was sitting with us.”
When asked if he had faced anything like this earlier in America he said, “No, I have been to US before too but things were not like this. About eight years ago I had decided to shift my family to US but then I thought no I’ll stay in Pakistan. Today I feel my decision was right. Speeches of (Donald) Trump have actually started making an effect.” He further said, “I never thought such a day would come when we won’t be ableto take the name of Pakistan in US. Everyone from the family was being very careful of using the word Pakistan. It is all absurd the way things are going.”
This article was published in The Nation on 8 Jan 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment